Happy December...12 days late! I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving (I can't believe how fast it came and went) and that you are all enjoying the holiday season (which also seems to be going by at warp speed).
Peter and I have been in our new house a little over three weeks (already?!) and it has been crazy-busy over here. We've had a revolving door for most of this time to get some finish work and minor repairs made, all while trying to unpack All The Boxes and we're still not finished. Of all rooms, the kitchen needed needed the most finish work done and I couldn't unpack any of my things until it was completed. It was AGONY, you guys. But it's all good now and we couldn't be happier in our new home. In between the unpacking madness and umpteen trips to Home Depot, we put up our Christmas tree and had our Christmas lights installed on the front of the house. We may still be living out of boxes, but Christmas is still happening over here!
On Thanksgiving day, I posted the above photo to my Instagram profile. I made an orange-scented cranberry sauce with apples and brown sugar and it turned out so well, that I thought I would share it here. Thanksgiving may be over, but there's no rule that says you can't eat cranberry sauce year-round! I'll share the recipe at the end of this post.
I've been really quiet on Twitter and Instagram these last few weeks and I've missed reading my feeds and interacting with so many of my blogging friends (I miss you guys!), but now that the dust is settling (figuratively and literally), I'm gradually making my way back to social media. I also have a few updates and some Internet lovliness to share with you.
I'm starting my cookie gift tins this weekend! This has been my current reading.
Sneak peek into my new (bigger!) pantry!
Is anyone else crushing on Sam Smith? I've had his new album on repeat for days.
Here are some great links I've found lately.
- This is how a group of high school students imagined how a group of monks following a vow of silence would perform Handel's "Hallelujah Chorus". I can't stop watching this and I'm still in stitches. So creative!
- I've always been interested in psychology and I enjoy reading articles like this one.
- The Holderness Family does it again with another fun video Christmas card. #JAMMIETIME
- I'm definitely trying these Craberry Sauce Cornbread Muffins.
- Smitten Kitchen's recipes never, ever disappoint. Homemade Jelly Doughnuts. Yes, please!
- By now, many of you know I'm OCD-organized (see picture of my pantry above), but our house still accumulates "stuff". I've seen lots of people reading this book and I'll be adding it to my reading list. I'm totally intrigued.
- Our housewarming party is going to have some of the best appetizers, like these Walnut and Blue Cheese Stuffed Mushrooms from my friend, Aggie.
- I'm turning 40 next year (yikes) and I loved this article.
Happy Friday, Friends!
Orange-Scented Cranberry Sauce with Brown Sugar and Apples
2 12-ounce bags fresh cranberries
Zest of 1 large orange
1 large Granny Smith apple, peeled, cored and cut into 1/4-inch dice
1 cup granulated sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup freshly squeezed orange juice (1-2 oranges depending on size)
1 cup water
Splash (2-3 Tablespoons) Grand Marnier or Bourbon, optional
Combine all the ingredients into a large sauce pot and stir well to combine. Cook, partially covered, over medium-low heat for 30-40 minutes, stirring often until the cranberries and apples have softened completely and all foaming has subsided. Remove the lid and add in the liquor if using, and cook for another 10-15 minutes to allow the sauce to reduce and thicken, stirring frequently. Transfer the sauce to a heat-safe bowl and allow to cool completely to room temperature before serving or refrigerating.
|Subscribe to RSS|