- Your choice of citrus fruits (no more than 3 types)
- Blood oranges
- Satsuma oranges
- Pink grapefruit
- Fennel bulb, cleaned and trimmed
- Beldi or Kalamata olives (optional)
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- Fennel fronds, for garnishing
- Use a sharp paring knife to cut away the peel and pith of the citrus fruits. Cut the citrus fruits into rounds and arrange them on a platter.
- Using a mandoline, slice the fennel bulb into paper-thin slices and arrange them on the platter with the citrus rounds. Tuck some fennel under the citrus rounds and scatter some fennel slices on top for visual interest.
- Scatter some olives (if using) onto the salad.
- If there is any citrus juice remaining on the cutting board, pour it onto the salad.
- Drizzle the salad generously with olive oil and sprinkle on a modest amount of salt (the amount will depend on how much salad you make).
- Garnish the salad with the fennel fronds.
- Allow the salad to sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before serving.