- 1 fennel bulb, washed and trimmed
- 1 head radicchio, washed and any wilted outer leaves discarded
- 1 head Belgian endive, washed, root end trimmed off, and any wilted outer leaves discarded
- 2 large navel oranges
- ¼ cup (50 mL) extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup (50 mL) freshly squeezed orange juice (from 1 navel orange)
- 2 Tablespoons white balsamic vinegar
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste (optional)
- ½ cup (80 grams) whole hazelnuts, toasted lightly and roughly chopped
- Cut the fennel bulb in half lengthwise. Cut out and discard the core. Using a mandoline, slice the fennel halves into thin slices and set them aside.
- Cut the head of radicchio in half. Cut out and discard the core. Using a sharp knife, slice the radicchio halves thinly into ribbons and set them aside.
- Leaving the endive head intact, use a sharp knife to cut it into thin rings, and set them aside.
- Transfer the sliced fennel, radicchio, and endive to a shallow serving bowl or large platter. Use your hands to toss the vegetables lightly to mix them up.
- Use a sharp paring knife to slice away the peel and pith of 1 navel orange, then slice the orange into thin rounds and place them on top of the vegetables.
- In a small jar, combine the olive oil, orange juice, white balsamic vinegar, and salt. Close the lid tightly and shake the jar until the ingredients are emulsified. Taste the dressing and adjust it for salt if necessary. Pour some of the dressing over the salad and toss gently to combine. Add more dressing if necessary. Sprinkle the pepper (if using) and chopped, toasted hazelnuts on top of the salad. Serve immediately.